Dear Graduate Students,
The University of Manitoba Graduate Student Association (UMGSA) stands with the Iranian students during this difficult time. We are sending our thoughts and prayers to all Iranian students and their families in Manitoba or in Iran, who have been dealing with the horrific news of the gruesome murder of Zhina (Mahsa) Amini.
We recognize that there are unfortunately many tragedies happening all around the world (social, physical, natural, etc.) which are affecting communities here at the UM. It is important to note that our resources and support are not exclusive to any one cultural/ religious group. We wish to advocate for ALL of our graduate students.
If you or someone you know requires support, we encourage you to connect with the resources listed here:
- Our International Student Advisors are here to talk things through and to help refer you to supports available at UM.
- Provides personal spiritual counselling and support for students on the Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses.
- 204-474-8721 (Fort Garry campus)
- 204-272-3190 (Bannatyne campus)
- Spiritual Care and Multifaith Team is currently planning a supportive gathering for affected students and more information will be communicated very soon.
- Provides free counselling and mental health supports for students on the Fort Garry campus. Students in need of urgent help can view a list of 24/7 crisis help providers on the SCC webpage.
- 204 474-8592
- Provides free counselling and mental health supports for learners on the Bannatyne campus.
- 204 272-3190
- Provides information and support for students who require academic considerations, such as Authorized Withdrawals, leaves, or exam deferrals.
- 204 474-7423
- Offers emergency financial aid and advice for those experiencing unexpected delays in their funding sources.
Pre-written absence letter: https://umsu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Student-Absence-Form-Events-in-Iran.pdf
U of M’s student absence policy form: https://umanitoba.ca/sites/default/files/2022-09/Self%20Declaration%20Fillable%20Form-%20FINAL%20for%20Website.pdf