*It is important to note that the UMGSA Conference Grant program is funding limited and does NOT guarantee funding for applicants.
The Conference Grant regulations can be found in the UMGSA Governance and Operations Manual
The UMGSA, through the Finance Committee, will make funds available to University of Manitoba graduate students wishing to attend or present at conferences who do not have adequate resources to do so. Conferences must advance the student’s course of study. Applications will be accepted throughout the year and processed by the Finance Committee on a monthly basis. Except in extenuating circumstances, the Finance Committee decisions can be appealed to a maximum of two times. The resolution of any unresolved appeals that remain at the end of an Executive term will become the responsibility of the new Executive.
The UMGSA Conference Grant is available for University of Manitoba graduate students attending conferences. The award amount varies depending on the location of the conference.
The maximum amount available to an individual over the course of a degree program from the UMGSA conference grant program are as follows:
i. $500 over the course of a Masters program.
ii. $1000 over the course of a Doctoral program.
The maximum conference grant amounts available per application are as follows:
i. $500.00 for conferences outside of Canada and the 48 conterminous states of the USA.
ii. $300.00 for conferences within Canada or the 48 conterminous states of the USA.
iii. $150.00 for conferences in the province of applicant residence. No Applicant may receive Conference Grants totaling in excess of $500.00 from April 18 of one year to April 17 of the following year. Multiple applications from one member could be successful, but the total amount cannot exceed $500.00 within that period of a year.
*Complete applications must be submitted online between 60 days prior to the first conference day and 60 days following the last conference day.
Applications submitted prior to the 18th of the month will be reviewed at the following Finance Committee meeting. If you need help with your application, drop by our office at 221 UMSU University Centre and we will be happy to help you.
Please allow 21 business days after the scheduled Finance Committee meeting to be notified of the Committee’s decision, but feel free to call the UMGSA office anytime at (204) 474-9181 if you would like to know the status of your application.
Online Application System
You are now required to complete your UMGSA Conference Grant Application entirely online.
- Click here to access the online application form.
- Complete the online application and upload all of your supporting documents.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their official conference registration or equivalent correspondence (as proof of acceptance at the conference). They must also provide a copy of their conference ID badge, as well as boarding passes or tickets for inter-city transportation, as proof of attendance.
- For Virtual Conferences, applicants must submit receipts of their registration fees.
- Students applying within 60 days prior to the first conference day and for in-person conferences, must provide plane tickets and/or reservation for accommodation (hotel/ AirBnB etc.) as proof of attendance at the conference.
Please Note: Attendance and presentation at virtual/web conferences will be treated as conferences in the applicant’s city of residence. And maximum allowed grant is $150.00 for conferences in the province/city of applicant’s residence.
If you have any questions, concerns or feedback about this system, please contact our Vice-President Finance & Administration at email@example.com